NH CarePath
Smaller text size Reset text size Larger text size
link to website translation page

Home Care

Information and Guidance for people who would like to have care in their home

There is a difference between non-medical home care and home health care. It is important to understand this difference, , since the type of care will both guide your search for the appropriate caregiver, supports and services, as well as define how you will be able to pay for home care.

What is Non-Medical Home Care?

Non-medical home care includes assistance with personal care, help with preparing meals, and help with taking care of one’s home. Services include:

  • Meal Preparation
  • Laundry
  • Light Housework
  • Bathing
  • Dressing
  • Eating
  • Help getting to and from the bathroom
  • Transportation
  • Help with walking Medication Reminders

What is Home Health Care?

Home health care is medical in nature. A prescription from a doctor may be required to obtain these services that are provided by healthcare professionals such as registered nurses, licensed practical nurses, and physical, occupational, and speech-language therapists. Home health care may also be described as clinical care and skilled care.

Home health agencies provide the following services:

  • Administration of medication (including IVs and injections)
  • Monitoring Vital Signs
  • Wound care
  • Assistance with recovery from illness or injury
  • Physical Therapy
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Speech-Language Therapy
  • Monitoring of medical equipment
  • Expertise in specific medical conditions (like Alzheimer’s disease or dementia)

Can individuals receive Non-Medical Home Care and Home Health Care at the same time? Yes.

  • Some home health agencies also provide "homemaker" and personal care services if there is a need for household assistance.
  • A home health agency and a non-medical home care agency may also work together to meet the needs of an individual.

How do individuals pay for these services?

There are many payment options for non-medical home care and home health care. Options for payment can depend on an individual’s circumstances and ability to pay as well as what an agency is able to accept for payment.

Examples of payment may include:

  • Medicare
  • Medicaid
  • Federal or State funded programs, including Titles III and XX
  • Veterans Administration(VA) Contract or VA Choice
  • Private Pay
  • Private Insurance
  • LTC Insurance

To connect to these and other resources, call 1 (866) 634-9412 or view the links below

Who do I contact?

Please note that programs may have varying eligibility requirements. Please contact those listed below for more information.

ServiceLink Aging and Disability Resource Center

A major partnership between BEAS and local communities is the ServiceLink Resource Centers, a statewide network of community-based resources for seniors, adults living with disabilities and their families. The ServiceLink Resource Centers are available to anyone who needs assistance, advice, help finding services or support with an issue relating to a senior member or disabled adult living in our community. ServiceLink partners promote the independence and well-being of the people they serve at thirteen primary locations and many satellites throughout NH.

Bureau of Elderly and Adult Services

Through contracts with a variety of community-based agencies, the BEAS provides a number of social and long-term supports to adults age 60 and older and to adults between the ages of 18 and 60 who have a chronic illness or disability. BEAS also provides Adult Protection Services (APS) for adults. For more information about BEAS and Adult protection you can:

Other Resources

  |  New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services
  |  nhcarepath@dhhs.nh.gov